This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Program not visible in Add/Remove Programs list

3 replies to this topic

dodoSturm

dodoSturm
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:48

Hi,

I have a basic MSI installer project that installs the program correctly and the program is visible in the Add/Remove Programs list.
After install, in maintenance mode the user can set (after choosing Modify option) so that the program is no more visible in Add/Remove programs list. To to this I set

ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT = 1
ARPNOREMOVE = 1

This is working OK, after modifying the installation the program is no more visible in Add/Remove Programs list.

After these steps the user can run again the installer in maintenance mode, select the Modify option and set the option so that the program is visible in the Add/Remove Programs list. For this I set

ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT = ""
ARPNOREMOVE = ""

The problem is that after this step the program is still not visible in Add/Remove Programs list. Seems that once it was removed it cannot "be back" in the list.

Also when installing for the first time with the option not to be visible in the Add/Remove programs list, in maintenance mode there is no way to get the program "back" in the Add/Remove Programs list.

I tried also with REINSTALLMODE=vomus and REINSTALL=ALL and it does not work. Any ideas?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 13:53

Not sure why you want your users to do this, it seems very non-standard. This is probably happening because a setup is either meant to be hidden or visible, and not supposed to toggle the state. However, did you try to reboot after unhiding the setup again? It may be that this is required to rebuild the ARP list. Just guessing.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

dodoSturm

dodoSturm
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 16:12

Actually the MSI installer is run hidden by network administrator using a remote tool, the local user has no influence on the installer. The decision to add/remove the program entry in Add/Remove Program files is done using some .ini files (and in MSI by setting the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT and ARPNOREMOVE properties).
No, it doesn't work after restarting the computer, works only if first time the entry was there in the list and then remove it (no reboot needed). Does not work when entry was not there and asked later to be there.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:53

Have a look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Find you product and check where or not it has a"SystemComponent" key. If this key is present, then the install will not show inside add/remove programs.

It is possible that the install where you are trying to set ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT="" is not recognising this change in property and thus, still leaving the entry in the registry.