This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

One Click Install - Need NO click install

1 reply to this topic

skyfox

skyfox
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 17:50

I have created a web type downloader install.  This works great, however I do not want my users to have to click a button.  I want to install this like I would a plug-in.  That is the <OBJECT> tag is used to check the version of my software and see if it is necessary to install or upgrade it.

This was very easy to accomplish with CAB files generated from the VB6 Package and Deployment wizard, but I need to include some MS provided merge files, so I need to find an alternate method.

If I can find a way to get IS to register the CAB file that is generated into the DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES area, this would be sufficient for the OBJECT tag to work as designed.

It seems to me that Install Shield has disabled the orignal purpose of the OBJECT tag and and forced a CLICK into the middle.  I just wish to get the orignal functionality.

skyfox

skyfox
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 21:37

Well, no help from anyone, but I did manage to work around the problem, so here it is for the next poor person.

Since the object tag references the CLSID of the Install Shield Project (or version or whatever ti is ) and since this CLSID is never "really" installed, I changed the CLSID of the OBJECT tag to be the CLSID of the MSSOAP30.DLL which is the primary DLL.  This way if the .DLL has been previously installed, IE's Component Download logic will find this DLL and not bother to download and run my CAB file with the SETUP.EXE in it.