This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How can I find the Source Dir of Setup.exe

2 replies to this topic

kris

kris
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 22:44

SourceDir gives you the path to where the .msi exists....is there any Property, such as SourceDir, which I can use to find the path of the setup.exe?  (I compress all my setup files into setup.exe instead of .msi)  When I try to do a SourceDir, I get the .msi path, when what I really want is the setup.exe path???  (I would do a FindFile to solve the problem, but if I do a FindFile I need to search a specific disk, and if the user is running setup.exe off a cd, then I will not be able to search for the cd-rom drive letter, because there is no Property set to the cd-rom drive letter)

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 10:15

This problem is intractable.  If setup does not tell the msi engine where it is, how can msi possibly know.  There is no reason why setup would tell msi.

I assume you have some files external to the installation that you are trying to get to.  Your solution is to write a custom setup.exe.  This is a non trivial task.

Murali

Murali
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 06:35

The self extracting Setup.exe, when started, extracts all the files in the package on to the temp directory (which lies within Documents And Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp. When SourceDir is used then it gives this Directory instead of where the Setup.exe lies. The only way to identify where the Setup.exe lies is to build the Setup.exe in uncompressed mode.

Thanks Stefan for this information.