This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSDE Installation

6 replies to this topic

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 21:29

So I see that there are 17 MM associated with MSDE 2000. Do I need to add all of these? Or is there some documentation that tells me what each module does? Why so many modules? Is there documentation more than the information on this site or the InstallShield site? I see many posts on this site about the MSDE 2000 MM's, but doesn't seem to be many replies...sure would be nice to find more info about these MM's. Any help? Thanks.

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 19:46

So maybe this is too broad a question...so how about this...if I only need "Connectivity Only option and not connecting to a server that requires encryption"....what merge modules do I need to add to my setup?

Thanks for ANY help.

:)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 09:07

There's few documentation on the SQL Server CD. It says you can leave out one or two of the modules.
However I never got these modules to work properly at all. You probably saw the bug reports here in the Bugs Bulletin, and the upf´dates and fixed that MS has released. Anyway, I gave up on the merge modules and resorted to the msi package.

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 17:13

Interesting...are you calling the msi package from within your setup through a custom action? I tried this a couple ways....first, calling another msi package and second, launching an exe (msiexec.exe). The first has to be done in the UI sequence, since msiexce doesn't allow 2 instances running, but I wanted the user to be able to choose whether or not to install...the second way  worked great except no way to uninstall MSDE. It doesn't put in add/remove programs and doesn't uninstall when main installation is uninstalled. So I am back to the merge modules. Thanks for any info/help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 13:35

I'm calling it in a CA in user interface sequence. Of course that won't work in a silent install.

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 17:43

hmmm...I'm not interested in a silent install. Could you elabporate...a lot :) ....on how you did it...or point me to some documentation....or any help..thank very much

brassrat

brassrat
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 23:10

i have been able to get a SP1 custom MSDE msi (where i have customized the instance name, product code, product id, and security mode using ORCA) to install using a CA in the UI seq. But the un-install fails. It doesn't matter if i use add/remove programs or run msiexec with /x directly - the problem seems to have something to do withe sqlAgent uninstall. The uninstall goes for a while and then just rolls back. Has anyone been successful with a custom MSDE msi? both installing and un-installing?