This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

patching & inconsistent short filenames

1 reply to this topic

luked

luked
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 06:35

Hi, I'm trying to build a patch using ISD7.02, but I've come across a problem where many of my files are added to the patch (in their entirety!) even though they haven't changed, because their short filenames are different.

For example, the file "input_next.gif" has a short filename of "INPUT_~2.GIF" in the administrative install image of the new version, and "INPUT_~3.GIF" in the image of the old version.

ISD7's direct table editor shows that these files are recorded with the short filename of "INPUT_~1.GIF" in the FILE table of both msi databases.  Actually, every file seems to have ~1 in its short filename in the msi table, despite the fact that this would causes duplicate in the same directory.

This problem occurs for many files, and needlessly bloats the size of my patch.

How can I control the short filenames, to make them consistent and avoid this failure?

PS: here is an exerpt from the patching log:
Code Sample
WARNING (11): File.FileName mismatch between Upgraded ('INPUT_~2.GIF|input_next.gif') and Target ('INPUT_~3.GIF|input_next.gif') Images means old files may be orphaned.  File Table Key: input_next.gif1
   Patch API could not create a small patch; using whole upgraded file.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 16:32

I am not a ISD7 user.  However I believe all tables are published with it,   goto the file table and manually define the name in the form   "short.exe|alongname.exe"  In this way you are controlling the autogenerated short name.  

Hope this works, let us know if it does.