This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1607: Hosed up MSI

1 reply to this topic

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 17:43

I have a case of self-inflicted damage. While testing some different installation scenarios, I changed the login of the Windows Installer service from the local system login to a domain login and back again. Now every time I try to run my installs, I get the dreaded "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime." They work fine on other machines; conversely, older installs that have not been rebuilt recently no longer work on my machine. I'm assuming something in the registry was inadvertantly changed; I just don't know where to look.

I am running the installs from my local hard drive. I have ISDev 7.04 and Win2K Professional. The Installer is embedded in setup.exe (only files are Setup.exe, MyApp.msi, and Data1.cab).

Just to be proactive, I tried these things I found in the InstallShield KB:

InstMsiW.exe: The specified service already exists

<ProgramFiles>\InstallShield\Developer\Redist\Language Independent\i386\ISScript.msi: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

<Program Files>\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\7\Intel 32\IDriver.exe /regserver: No messages... (also tried /unregserver then /regserver again)

WinNT\Installer folder permissions OK

<WindowsFolder>\System32\msiexec.exe /REGSERVER: No messages... (also tried /unregserver then /regserver again)

System Event log entry (Source:DCOM): DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service MSIServer with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Application Event log entry (Source: MsiInstaller): Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80070422

I am in the local Administrators group

MsiExec and IDriver are not in the processes list in TaskMgr (indicating there is not another MSI install running)

Rebooting does not help

Ran MSICleanup utility

Any ideas on how to get my system back would be greatly appreciated...
Bob Rouse
Netuitive, Inc.

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 22:33

I found the problem. The hardware profile had been disabled in the NT Services applet. I enabled it and the problem was corrected.
Bob Rouse
Netuitive, Inc.