This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to stop msiexec.exe?

2 replies to this topic

dodoSturm

dodoSturm
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 18:46

Hi there,

We have here a program (written in C++) that once it should start msiexec. exe to install a .msi file. We start msiexec.exe in quite mode and we pass the parameters something like this

msiexec.exe /i "abc.msi" /qn /li "logfile.log"

We start msiexec.exe as a child process for our program. Everything runs OK until we want to stop the installation from our program. It is required that our child process (msiexec) can be stoped from our program.

Simply kill msiexec process is not a solution because it will leave the system in an unstable state. A solution would be to send a close message (WM_CLOSE) or a close signal to msiexec application but question is how and which one?

Any ideas?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 23:17

I am not sure how you can stop if gracefully, but why do you need to stop the install?

Maybe you should acutally code this logic into the installer, and not the program that kicks of the executable, then windows installer will handle the abort properly.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 09:10

The only solution I can think of is replacing the UI. By doing so, you get all kinds of notifications, and you can abort the install during such a notification.

Look at the docs on MsiSetExternalUI.