This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Extract files from setup.exe

2 replies to this topic

ctybur

ctybur
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 22:44

I have a single-executable install created with IS 11.5. I need to extract the MSI file from within the installer, in an unattended fashion. The ultimate goal here is to find out the product code associated with any given build of my setup file. I've tried to do an administrative install and record a response file at the same time (setup /a /r /f1"c:\setup.iss"), but I'm not able to repeat the admin install silently. I get a -3 error indicating the data in the response file is wrong.

I found an entry in Macrovision's KB on creating response files by hand. They document the format of the file and how to create one. I tried doing that, using the automatically created one as a guide, but it didn't work either (same error). Is 'setup /a' the only way to extract the files from a single-EXE setup? Is there a better way to determine the product code of an InstallScript MSI setup file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:37

After launching the setup.exe normally, can you see the extract files in the %TMP% folder?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

ctybur

ctybur
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 17:52

I can see them, but the subfolder it creates in the TEMP folder has a different name each time you run SETUP. I have a program I've written that will ultimately read info from the MSI file once it's extracted. So unless I know ahead of time what the name of the folder under TEMP will be called, I can't really go that route.

Chris