This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multi-language kits

4 replies to this topic

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 13:59

I have a product for which I've created Basic MSI projects (IS Dev 7.0.3), almost entirely merge module based. Now I need to release the same product localised for multiple languages.

The files that are language dependant have the same filename, I just have to install the right one for the locale of the target PC. I know this is slightly against the Windows Installer principle, but I have no control over the software (we are effectively a reseller for this product).

Some of the files have shortcuts attached and some have custom actions that run them.

I can easily create an English Merge Module, a French Merge Module, etc for the specific groups of files that are localised. From these I can easily create an English kit, a French kit, etc and let the user download the one they want.

But our marketing dept want a multi-language kit that allows selection at installtime, preferably defaulting to the same family as the locale of the target PC. I'm not convinced this is possible, but I have to try every avenue to be sure.

Has anyone else faced a similar scenario? Can you give me a few pointers or just a plain "no, can't be done"?
Paul Riley (Vector Networks), InstallShield User.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 20:28

You could select or deselect features based on user input or system locale. If you don't need to let the user select (or if the selection is made before the actual mSI setup starts, e.g. using InstallShield's setup.exe) you can also use component conditions.

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 22:20

Component conditions are good, that way we can select the correct shortcut and conditionalise the CustomAction based on whether the component is being installed.

Given either case (auto-select or Setup.exe-select), what would the condition be?

For auto-select, I know of the SystemLanguageID Property, but that doesn't deal well with families (at least not that I understand). eg. what condition would you use to say "if the SystemLanguageID is in the English family."

For Setup.exe, I have no idea where to start. I assume the Setup passes a commandline global property but what is it?

Thanks for your help, Stefan.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 09:40

I believe that setup.exe will set the ProductLanguage property.

I don't have a nice solution for the language families issue. You would have to mak out the upper byte, but I don't think this is possible with MSI alone - you would need a custom action.

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:56

Thanks Stefan, I think I'll go with the setup way and see how I get on. I may be back tongue.gif