This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Self-extracting files

4 replies to this topic

Bob

Bob
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 16:27

I would like to be able to have the end-user extract files manually from the self-extracting file.  I know this can be done through a program such as WinZip, but I would like to use a command-line parameter to do this.  Do they exist?  Is there another way the end-user can extract these files manually without having to use a third-party product such as WinZip?
Thanks,
Bob

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 March 2001 - 01:24

I don't think I understand exactly what you want to do.  Is it that you want your user to select files to extract from a cabinet file?  What tool was used to build the self extracting file?

Bob

Bob
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2001 - 02:12

Steve,
I am using IS6.22 to create the self-extracting (SFX) file.  I want the end-uder to be able to do two things. (1)  Use the SFX file to install my program (let's call it MyAp.exe) on their computer.  (2) In the event that the end-user needs to transfer the installation files to floppy disks, I would like them to be able to extract the individual IS files (*.cab, setup.exe, etc.) to his local computer, transfer the IS files to floppy (setup files and cab1 to disk 1, cab2 to disk 2, etc).
Although I know I can create individual IS media types, I want to be able to do this with just one file.  I have already tested this, and it works.  However, I have to use a third-party program such as WinZip to extract the IS files from the SFX file.  I was hoping there were some commanbd-line parameters  that could be run with the SFX file so that instead of it running the setup routine, it would extract the files.  I also know that I can have the SFX file extract and save the individual IS files to a temp directory, but that means that EVERYONE would have to delete these temp files manually.

Hope this gives you more info (or has it just made it more confusing :-).

In short, I want to extract files from the SFX file using a command line parameter.

Thanks,
Bob

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2001 - 15:48

#Moderation Mode

Moved to InstallShield 6 forum

Moved here