This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

INSTALLER CACHCE

3 replies to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 16:40

I would like to know how and where the windows installer maintains the msi cache ?

I install a product using abc.msi which is version1.0 of the product. Then i make a copy of this msi and rename it to abc_renamed.msi and delete abc.msi. When i double click on this msi, there is a network error 1306, where the installer is looking for abc.msi which is not present. Why does this happen?

Also, when i upgrade to version1.1 (minor upgrade) using a renamed msi of that version, it gave me the same network error - trying to look for abc.msi which is not present.

Is this because the msi gets cached the first time it was used? Is there any way i can clean the cache the next time i use the msi? I used option v - run from source and recache locally, it did not work.

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:13

msi is cached in windows\Installer folder with randomly generated name. This random name cen be found in registry keys (HKLM\Installer\).

also kindly let me know how you made the minor upgrade? I think for a minor upgrade the name of msi file should not change.
  ankur tyagi

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:04

Thanks. I did a minor upgrade from the command line by using REINSTALL==ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus options. I understand that we cannot change the msi names in a minor upgrade.

But, why does a repair/modify of the same version fail when i rename the msi?

How can i clean the cache?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 15:28

Maybe this article can answer your question:

Why does changing the name of your MSI file require a Major Upgrade?
http://blogs.msdn.co.../08/278746.aspx