This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SQL Server ODBC Data Source

1 reply to this topic

jhunt

jhunt
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:44

I am trying to create an ODBC Data Source to an SQL Server instance by authoring the ODBCDataSource and ODBCSourceAttribute tables.

However I am nowhere near successful. I do not even get errors, just no Data source shows up. I am using Visual Studio Installer to make the basic msi file, then a collection of our own scripts to add in the extra functionality we require.

The ODBCSourceAttribute table looks like this
(DataSource Attribute Value)
ZAIMU_DATA_SOURCE Server [SQLSERVERNAME]
ZAIMU_DATA_SOURCE Trusted_Connection Yes

The ODBCDataSource table looks like this
DataSource
ZAIMU_DATA_SOURCE

Component_,
ODBC_ZAIM.A94FF93D-8E59-490A-AC3E-9C907DAA4484

Description
[ProductName]のデータソース

DriverDescription
SQL Server

Registration

The Component Table looks like this
Component
ODBC_ZAIM.A94FF93D-8E59-490A-AC3E-9C907DAA4484

ComponentID
A94FF93D-8E59-490A-AC3E-9C907DAA4484

Directory
TARGETDIR

Attributes

Condition
(blank)

KeyPath
ZAIMU_DATA_SOURCE

I am not installing a driver, because I believe that if MDAC is installed the driver will reside on the system. I have tried various combinations in the DriverDescription field of the ODBCDataSource table, including the path to the driver dll but it hasn' t worked yet.

The MSDN "documentation" is on this is so flimsy, we might call it lingerie.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Justin

jhunt

jhunt
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:13

OK I fixed it myself. First I downloaded 492mb of InstallShield Pro demo version. Then I created and installaer with an ODBC data source and opened the resulting MSI up in ORCA.

The main problem was that though I had added the component I had not added the component to the FeatureComponents table. Once I had that fixed I noticed that the ODBCDataSource Description field is in fact the name of the ODBC data source as it appears in Windows. The actual description is an attribute that needed to be added to the ODBCSourceAttributes table.
eg
"Description" "My very difficult to create odbc data source"