This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

migrateInstallScript to InstallScriptMSI for Vista

3 replies to this topic

dwightk

dwightk
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 23:57

I have an InstallShield 11 InstallScript project that I'm migrating to InstallShield 12.

(1) Is it necessary to recreate my project as an InstallScript MSI project in order to make it Vista compatible? It looks like many of the Vista support features in InstallShield 12 are not available for InstallScript projects.

(2) Assuming the answer to (1) is yes, does anyone have any tips/articles on migrating a project from InstallScript to InstallScript MSI? Will I have to convert my InstallScript functions to custom actions?

InstallShield 12 provides a menu option to convert an existing InstallScript MSI project to an InstallScript project, but not the reverse. So I created a fresh InstallScript MSI project, imported my InstallScript files and am re-creating my features & components from the ground up.

I'm new at working on MSI projects so any recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by dwightk, 22 January 2007 - 00:08.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 22:23

(1) No. InstallScript without MSI should work properly on Vista. To take full advantage of all Vista features, and to get the Vista Certification logo, you must use MSI however. But if you ,igrate, don't use InstallScript MSI but use Basic MSI.

(2) Where possible, use the built in MSI functionality. Anything that MSI cannot do will require custom actions, but all the standard functionality won't.

To stress it again: "InstallScript MSI" is not a favourable project type. If you are willing to invest work in moving to Windows Installer technology, use "Basic MSI".

dwightk

dwightk
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:43

Thanks very much Stefan, that's very helpful!

(1) I saw a different post which stated that IS 12 does not directly support anything other than "HighestAvailable" for InstallScript setups.
http://community.mac...439&page=2&pp=5

Our installer does require admin privileges so we want to be able to require administrator execution level in the embedded manifest. Editing it manually is not a good option for us. Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

(2) Why is InstallScript MSI not a favorable project type? I'll take your word for it, but I was wondering.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 15:38

(1) That's true. If you don't want to edit the manifest, you could create your own non-manifested setup.exe which would cause the UAC elevation prompt, and then could launch the InstallShield setup in elevated mode.
InstallShield versions before 11 didn't have a manifest and thus will trigger the elevation prompt automatically.

(2) From the help file:
Because this project type uses two different engines, it is more complex than pure InstallScript or Basic MSI installation projects. It is recommended only for advanced users.
InstallScript MSI setups are less desirable to systems administrators because they require the use of Setup.exe, rather than being self-contained in an .msi file, and may not be fully customizable prior to deployment. If your software will be customized by corporate systems administrators prior to deployment, Macrovision recommends that you create a Basic MSI project.

The combination of installation technologies has caused many problems in the past, including instabilities and bugs, like upgrade and uninstall problems etc. IS 12 avoids some of them, but I still don't recommend InstallScript MSI. Search the forums here and at installshield.com and the knowledge base, and you'll see what I mean.