This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to disable MSI auto repair ?

5 replies to this topic

Gazous

Gazous
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 13:46

I would like to be able to disable this functionnality on my MSI because my auto-update module should in some cases delete "dlls" files in the application directory.

An id?
I think that it is in the regestry bu i did not manage...

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 15:22

Auto repair will happend when some of the files or registries which are set as key path are get removed.

You can do the followings
1. Dont set the key path for any components. So that the MSI never auto repair.
OR
2. I hope you know the dll's which are getting deleted from you application directory. Check for your MSI that these dll's are set as key path. If so change the key path or remove the key path from that component.

As per me the 2nd option is the best one.

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 16:26

I wonder if gazous will understand your words better than mine? As I told him pretty much the same thing yesterday.

Btw, removing the keypath from a component will not necessarily prevent the component being broken, as the component's installation folder will become the keypath. This situation often causes the installation to self repair constantly.

Gazous

Gazous
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 16:57

Thanks, but what is the key path?

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 18:46

Hi Gazous.

I think you need to do a little research of your own. Whilst people on these forums are usually more than happy to help you out if you're stuck, it's up to you to learn the basics. wink.gif

Here's a link to the main reference material (the SDK):

http://msdn.microsof..._start_page.asp

And here's a more specific link regarding your question:

http://msdn.microsof...onent_table.asp

vishalv

vishalv
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 16:48

Hi Guys,
I have a similar problem of auto repair, but it does not happen consistently. Sometimes when I perfrom a major upgrade I face the auto repair.
In the component table the KeyPath for that dll is abcd.dll1. Is this fine or should I change it to abcd.dll?

When I perform an upgrade, if the dll in question is in use will the dll be installed? Also can I prevent custom actions from executing during an auto repair? is there a property that will determine whether it is a auto repair or not?

I am stuck with this one and this auto repair happens once in a while randomly?

Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
Vishal