This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Convert IS6 project to some other installer?

1 reply to this topic

Chuck Somerville

Chuck Somerville
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 18:26

I have an inherited project - an executable from another company - wherein I can modify (and have been given VC++ 6.0 source code for) one of the DLLs. I have Visual Studio 6 and editing / compiling / linking works fine, but they supplied an InstallShield Pro 6 project for building an installer for the whole project (other compiled pieces, plus my DLL).

The InstallShield "light" that comes with Visual Studio 6 does not seem to be able to recognize the IS Pro 6 project files.

InstallShield will sell me an InstallShield Pro 10 (or whatever's current) license (not the product - just a license) for the $1400 US or so it now costs, and then for another $50 they'll dig into their vault and burn me a copy of the IS Pro 6 disks. I haven't even asked if they still have the IS 6 books. sad.gif

Is there another (less expensive) installer that will import the IS Pro 6 project?

Is there some conversion tool, or some write-up somewhere on how to convert or make use of the IS 6 project files (which appear to contain text) so an installer may be built with a different (less expensive) installer tool?

Thanks.

Chuck Somerville
Dayton Ohio USA

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:51

The InstallShield "light" that comes with Visual Studio 6 does not seem to be able to recognize the IS Pro 6 project files.
That's because Visual Studio comes with a limited version of InstallShield 5.

InstallShield 10.5 (that's the current version) can import IS6 projects, so you wouldn't need to get the IS6 disks.
Maybe that other company could do the setup build for you?