This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Transforms and Installscript MSI

2 replies to this topic

Installguy1978

Installguy1978
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 18:46

OK, I'm trying to deploy an Installscript MSI, a format that I truly wish people would stop using!! (Oracle Database 10g Express for anyone interested).

Because much of the installer functionality is contained in the script, I have no choice but to run it using a Setup.iss. Unfortunately I also need to customize the MSI (remove some shortcuts etc.) and the Setup.iss isn't going to cut it.

I've extracted the MSI and created my transform, but there would appear to be no way of applying it to the MSI... I've tried /V in conjuntion with the setup.exe, but had no luck.

Basically I need to know:
a.) Is it possible to pass a transform to an Installscript MSI via the setup.exe
b.) And this would be the ideal solution - is there a way of passing my Setup.iss response file directly to the MSI (therefore bypassing the setup.exe) so I can use normal msiexec command lines.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 19:54

I'm trying to deploy an Installscript MSI, a format that I truly wish people would stop using!!
I agree!

Is it possible to pass a transform to an Installscript MSI via the setup.exe
Honestly, I don't know. I've never tried.

is there a way of passing my Setup.iss response file directly to the MSI (therefore bypassing the setup.exe)
No, since the script is running outside of the msi. In the knowledgebase there's an article how to run the msi without setup.exe but that means that the InstallScript will not be executed at all.
http://kb.flexerasof...ernalId=Q108166

Installguy1978

Installguy1978
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:34

Thanks Stefan; yep, I've no idea why Installshield invented this format or why anyone uses it, but I don't think I've had one yet that wasn't a pain to deploy!

Should've thought of that - all the dialogs are run from the setup.exe so the setup.iss wouldn't be allot of good without it! Looks like I'll have to create some sort of post-config script for it...

Edited by Installguy1978, 09 February 2011 - 10:46.