This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patches and Custom Actions

3 replies to this topic

samadhi

samadhi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:44

I have been using patches to update from the 'released' old version to the current version of the application only, so previously applied patches are invalid and need an uninstall and reinstall of the original version to apply the new patch. This was mainly for convenience so I didn't have to update the previous setups every time an alpha cut became available.

This worked fine without any issues (besides patches and MSI and Installshield being the usual PITA) for internal use, but now we have a released patch, and need to update to patch 2. The ideal solution is to build a patch with two previous setups, the original, and the first patch (i kept the 'build' of the latest version for the first patch for this reason).

The patch was created successfully, and updated the files from the original version, BUT the custom actions I had set in the patch were not running. I then removed the second 'previous setup', rebuilt the patch, and it ran correctly on the original version.

I then created another patch to go from patch 1 to the latest version, which also worked fine.

Is there any reason why my custom actions are not running when I have multiple previous setups.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:43

Sounds weird, you really need a log file to start looking into it:
http://www.installsi...ifaq/a/1022.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

samadhi

samadhi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:32

I have logged the installation, and when the patch (with two previous versions) is run there is no mention of the custom action (I actually have three custom actions, none of which are noted anywhere in the patch log). The default sequence actions occur as per normal, just not my custom actions (vbscript actions to be precise).

Upon closer inspection, it seems the patch validation is doing some unusual things.

Firstly the log shows
MSI (s) (34:F0): Validating transform 'Previous2ToLatest1' with validation bits 0x8a0
MSI (s) (34:F0): Transform 'Previous2ToLatest1' is valid.

however it is not actually valid as the version of previous2 is the patched version, but it was upgrading the non-patched version.

then the following shows
MSI (s) (34:F0): Validating transform 'Previous1ToLatest1' with validation bits 0x8a0
MSI (s) (34:F0): Note: 1: 2748 2: Previous1ToLatest1 3: C:\WINNT\Installer\26517.msi 4: 1.00.0074 5: 1.00.0076
MSI (s) (34:F0): 1: 2748 2: Previous1ToLatest1 3: C:\WINNT\Installer\26517.msi 4: 1.00.0074 5: 1.00.0076
MSI (s) (34:F0): Note: 1: 2729
DEBUG: Error 2748: Transform Previous1ToLatest1 invalid for package C:\WINNT\Installer\26517.msi. Expected product version <= 1.00.0074, found product version 1.00.0076.
1: 2748 2: Previous1ToLatest1 3: C:\WINNT\Installer\26517.msi 4: 1.00.0074 5: 1.00.0076
MSI (s) (34:F0): Looking for storage transform: #Previous1ToLatest1
MSI (s) (34:F0): Skipping validation for patch transform #Previous1ToLatest1. Will not apply because previous transform was invalid

which is wrong, as the expected value should be 1.00.0074 not 1.00.0076 (which is the newest version). So it is saying that it is matching patch1 and not the original version, which is why I expect this is occurring. However, I believe it should display the error saying the files have been modified when it attempts to update them as if you were running the wrong patch on the files. This does not adequately answer the issue of why it works when individual patches are used, but at least it is something to look into.

I will continute looking at this, and I supsect I need to mess around with the 'Transform Filter Settings' to force the match when there are multiple versions that can be matched, even though the individual patches match correctly.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:50

You shoudl also double check the installed ProductVersion, e.g. in Add/Remove Programs. Also I'd recommend testing this on a clean machine (i.e. re-image the machine before each test cycle)