This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

End Setup but not abort?

8 replies to this topic

doddy

doddy
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 14:42

My setup runs some batch files which may fail. (!)

If they fail I want to know why.  I realise that InstallShield will leave files not marked for uninstallation i.e log files created by the installed batch files.

How can I manually end the setup, without uninstalling ANY files?

Thanks,
Alan Dodridge,
Belfast

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 16:00

exit;

ObjectCentric

ObjectCentric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 19:56

I am interested to know why  you are running batch files with InstallShield? You should be able to anything in InstallShield with the scripting language.

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 22:21

Because you may want the user to be able to run them again later to reconfigure...for a different jdbc driver or app server.

ObjectCentric

ObjectCentric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 22:29

The user having control? That is just bad news. If I want a user to have that much control I either write an configuration application aka policy editor, or I create an installation with a configuration script and let the user choose. But a batch file seems rather unprofessional, and more for someone in a MIS/IT position than an end user position.

(Edited by ObjectCentric at 9:33 pm on Nov. 16, 2001)

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 23:46

Sounds like somebody never really grasped the power of a batch file.  Low setup time, ease of maintenance, ease of incorporating into install script and easy to parse.  Nothing hidden like an exe.

"The user having control? That is just bad news."  Bad news is having someone like you overcomplicating a product so that tech support is overrun with unnecessary calls; or spending two weeks on a two hour job.  We laid off three of you just this last quarter.

ObjectCentric

ObjectCentric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 23:56

If I purchased an application and were required to use a batch file for an Installation, I would certainly question what else may be lacking...

I use batch files that I created for my usage daily, and probably have been using them longer than most people on this board. You must consider the consumer and not the self when using such tools. A consumer does not want to see a product flash black boxes here and there, or be dropped into a DOS environment... If the QC and QA department are letting such things go through, the managers should be re-evaluated for their job description, because they certainly aren't doing their jobs.

"Sounds like somebody never really grasped the power of a batch file.  Low setup time, ease of maintenance, ease of incorporating into install script and easy to parse.  Nothing hidden like an exe."

ObjectCentric

ObjectCentric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2001 - 00:03

"Bad news is having someone like you overcomplicating a product so that tech support is overrun with unnecessary calls; or spending two weeks on a two hour job.  We laid off three of you just this last quarter. "

And what in the world is this type of comment, besides being absurd? I am sorry but do you know me personally? It seems to me that you can't find anything on Ebay and decided to waste your time by flaming someone you don't know. Find someone else to spaz out on.

Giurcanu Daniel

Giurcanu Daniel
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2001 - 14:03

BATCH FILES OR NOT???????
this is great....:))
In this job there is never an straight answer to such problems.
Are batch files a good solution????
DEPENDS ON THE SPECIFICATION,REQUIREMENTS...
DEPENDS ON EVERYTHING...