This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Empy cab file after administrative install

2 replies to this topic

andyguest13

andyguest13
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 14:16

Hello;
If i perform an administrative (network) install (of any package i tried so far), i see that a small .msi is created alongside the files within their folder structure.

However, if i look in that newly created mini-msi's media table, i am still seeing the same as in the full package media table - ie there is still a reference in there to an internal #Data1.cab, and the LastSequence number is correct, matching the filetable.

My questions are:

1. Is this a bug in msiexec?? The Cabinet column should surely be empty

and

2. How does msiexec, when you run that mini-msi, know to ignore the media table and to look for the files external to the mini-msi?

3. How does msiexec know whether it is running an install from an admin package mini-msi (same question as #2, probably?)

thanks
andy

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 14:55

Look up the WordCount Summary property.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

andyguest13

andyguest13
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 15:30

Thanks for the quick response! That answers my question s#2 and #3 and i guess i shouldn't even be looking in the Media Table based on what is set in WordCount. So technically speaking the Media Table is wrong but it doesn't really matter.

cheers
andy