This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installer leaves cached msi files in c:\windows\installer di

5 replies to this topic

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:14

hi Friends,

Installer is created in basic msi type project using installshield, target OS is windows 7 embedded. On every uninstall or upgrade, product is leaving cached msi file in c:\windows\installer directory and it causes space issue.

It is happening with 2 of my products both will be installed on same machine. Installation scenarios are as follows: One product always gets uninstalled and installed just like fresh install and another one always gets upgraded.

Why installers are leaving cached/orphan msi files in c:\windows\installer directory. Could you please suggest me to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance
gmpk

Edited by gmpk82, 16 May 2017 - 11:16.

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:40

hi Guys,

looks I am the only guy faced this issue, have you guys ever seen/faced similar issue? Stephen can you please suggest/help me.....

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 13:33

Well, essentially, this is by design.

For some workarounds see these articles:

http://csi-windows.c...ut-opening-them

https://www.raymond....staller-folder/

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:44

Thanks for your reply Stephen.

May be I did not put my question in proper way that confused lot of users. It is default behaviour in msi technology that installers keep one .msi in windows\installer directory but when product is uninstalled this copy should be removed from windows\installer location, in my case even after uninstall, .msi is left over. Sometimes multiple copies are left over for multiple versions of my product. Every week we create 3 to 4 builds and provide to QE, so all these builds are creating multiple copies of each build and resulting to space issue :-( 

I am not able to find what is causing issue and why .msi cached file is left over on uninstall. Any help is greatly appreciable. 

regards

gmpk

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:59

Unfortunately, Windows Instalelr doesn't automatically remove the msi file from the Installer cache.

You could try adding a registry entry to the PendingFileRenameOperations key using a custom action. In the first line specify the msi file, leave the second line empty (if I recall correctly this should delete the file instead of renaming it).

gmpk82

gmpk82
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 17:53

thanks Stefan. I found the root cause and fixed it.it is my design fault.