This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Stopping password property being written to logs

4 replies to this topic

phila

phila
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:23

Hi All
In an effort to stop a property containing a password being displayed in the logs. I have tried creating a property 'MsiHiddenProperties' and adding the name of the property to be hidden to it. (This what I thought the MSI means)
But its not working, any ideas?
Phil

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:11

I think this is a known bug.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:19

I also had the problem to prevent passwords stored in properties to be written to the logfile. For me it works without any problems if I:
1) use Windows Installer version 2.0 (1.x didn't support the MsiHiddenProperties property)
2) checked at minimum two times that upper/lowercase of the properties listed in the MsiHiddenProperties property are exactly as the properties to be hidden
3) another problem arises from using properties in the Target column of the CustomAction table. You have to set msidbCustomActionTypeHideTarget flag in the Custom Action type column of the CustomAction table to prevent the value to be put to the logfile (add a value of 0x2000 (decimal 8192) to your CA type).

Search for "How do I prevent confidential information from being written into the log file" in the Windows Installer SDK documentation for further info.
h.teichert-ott

phila

phila
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:40

rolleyes.gif Thanks.... the password is not displayed in the log. I found an issue that that only the first property in the MsiHiddenProperties is hidden from the log.
The other issue I had (which probably doesn't belong in this forum) is that Installshield Dev 8 won't let you add the msidbCustomActionTypeHideTarget flag to the custom action type via the direct editor, so I altered it via Orca which worked.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 13:52

In MsiHiddenProperties the properties to be hidden have to be separated by ";"s. Make sure that there are no spaces somewhere in the list:
Good: Property1;Property2;PROP3
Bad: Property1; Property2 ;PROP3

h.teichert-ott