This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade behavior

2 replies to this topic

dGabay

dGabay
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 22:37

We are upgrading to DevStudio9 from Developer8. I took one of my old basic msi projects and allowed it to be converted to DevStudio9. This was really easy and smooth. What happened next was a surprise to me. I installed the product once and everything was normal. Then when I tried installing again I expected maintenance mode to kick in just like in the Developer 8 version. Instead, the application was removed silently and the first-time welcome screen came up. Also in add/remove, I don't get maintenance mode any more. How do I get the old behavior back?

This also happens when I rename my project to save the old version. What is the best way to clone an existing project and then make changes? Mine are just prototypes and have not been released to the customer yet.

I'm new to MSI so you'll have to start at the beginning...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:19

I guess you are launching your setup from the IDE?
Your end users will not see this behaviour, and you won't if you launch your setup directly. It is there as a convenienve for to, to avoid having to run uninstall manually before you can test a new build of your setup.
You can turn this off in the IDE under Tools -> Options on the Preferences tab: uncheck option "Uninstall before installing"

dGabay

dGabay
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 16:12

Thank you for your help. This solves my problem. Hope this saves another developer from attempting to "fix" this behavior by changing product codes, recreating their projects, and other unnecessary actions. Thanks again.