This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Vista Device Driver Installs

2 replies to this topic

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 20:48

All,

I hope all is well with everyone.

I have been charged with installing a "virtual" network device for my client as part of a VPN project.

The virtual adapter is installed manually by using Control Panel -> Add Hardware wizard and seems to work fine that way in Vista.

You cannot install by right-clicking and selecting Install, this doesn't work that way.

I have gone through the hell of finding out the hard way that you need DIFx 2.1 and not 2.0, so, I can now install the drivers without getting a rollback with error 0xE000020B in my MSI logs.

(by the way, I will post a message outlining this in the near future to save others this pain ...)

My problem now is, although the driver seems to install fine, when I look in Device Manager, the driver does not show up under Network Adapters like it does when I install via Control Panel -> Add Hardware.

Does anyone know a place with some useful information about this sort of thing, or does anyone here have any knowledge of driver installs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net

Holger_G

Holger_G
  • Full Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:11

DIFx does not support the installation of such virtual devices by default.
If you want to use DIFx to install the device a devnode to the device must be created first (programmatically). To create a devnode take a look at the devcon source sample of the latest WinDDK.
You could also write your own device install .dll or .exe to install the device. Or simply use the devcon tool.

-Nick

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 13:08

Hi Nick,

I will look into the WDK and see what is available. Thanks very much for the help.

Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net