This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade - Maintenance Error

5 replies to this topic

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 18:42

Hello everyone!

I have a MSI/Standard project in IS 7.04, which upgrades an application previously deployed with another installer (vb).

The upgrade seemed to work ok - uninstalled the old files, installed the new ones.  However, the application is currently installed on my machine, but wen I run the install I get the dialogs for a fresh install!

I have run a simple MessageBox test, and the maintenance property is not being set on a maintenance install!

Can anyone please help?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:23

MSI update will only detect old version and enter maintenance mode if the old version was also installed using MSI technology (and the product code hasn't changed)

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:59

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

The previous version did use msi, just not Installshield.

I'm trying to do a major upgrade of this version. The IS help says to keep the UpgradeCode the same, but to change the PackageCode and ProductCode.  I have done this, and the upgrade appears to work.

The problems only come when you try to remove the new version, because the maintenance property is not set.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 11:42

Sorry, I mis-read your original post. For a major upgrade changing the ProductCode is correct.
However I'm not sure what "maintenance" property you mean?

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 15:47

I mean the MAINTENANCE system variable.  Quoting from the help:

"This system variable is set to TRUE if your installation program is running in maintenance mode, or set to FALSE for a first-time installation."

I used this InstallScript in the OnBegin handler as a test:

if(MAINTENANCE) then
szTemp = "MAINTENANCE set!";
else
szTemp = "## MAINTENANCE not set! ##";
endif;
MessageBox(szTemp,INFORMATION);

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 16:38

In case of a major upgrade your setup doesn't enter maintenence mode 8in this meaning). It uninstalls the old version, and then performs a fresh install of thre new version.