This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstallation of application

4 replies to this topic

raghu

raghu
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:43

Hello Everybody,

I have one problem , thing is I am able to lanch my applicaton setup.exe , it will install. But problem is whenever new version installer(setup.exe) lanching, old version should uninstall and new version must install in my machine.
I am using installshield10.5 version.

I wrote one VBscript on custom action for uninstallation.

Dim Wshshell

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Wshshell.Run "msiexec /x {92CA2E90-D2C3-4CA6-8C69-F78719DADBA2} /qb-", ,TRUE

Set Wshshell=nothing

So please anybody tell me the procedure how to uninstall old version and install with new versioin (other than add/remove programs)

Thanks and Regards
Raghu.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:21

If you don't want to update by overwriting the existing files (this would be a Small or Minor Update) then create a Major Upgrade (you need to change the ProductCode and add an Upgrade entry in the releases view). This will automatically uninstall the old version for you. There's no need for a custom action.

raghu

raghu
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:58

Thanks Stefan for reply

I want to clean up the entire installation folder(old version files). After that normal installation will go...

That means first uninstall old version and install with new version.

Regards
Raghu.

raghu

raghu
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:07

Thanks Stefan,

Problem is solved. I created major upgrade for that , its uninstalling...So Thanks a lot.

One more problem is whenever uninstalling one , .exe(proj.exe) file is not deleting at that time, remaining all the components were deleting. For this what the solution.

Q: For merge module componets major upgrade will work or not?

With Best Regards
Raghu.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 17:20

All existing files (of the old version) should be removed if:
- you have selected this option in the upgrade settings (complete uninstall then install)
- these files are not registered to another application (if two setups install the same files they will get removed only if both setups are uninstalled)
- the files are not in use(locked (in this case a reboot would be necessary to delete them)

Make sure you test on a clean image, otherwise remainders of a previous test may cause files to remin for reason #2. Generating a verbose log file should tell you why files may not be removed. Does ininstalling the old version from Add/Remove programs remove all files?