This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Reading Log file

1 reply to this topic

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 15:48

Hello friends,

How one can read Log file generated by Windows Installer. I mean what all those lines written means ? Any help document any where ?

Devang.

mgama

mgama
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 00:16

Theres no documentation that I am aware of.   The best way to search for something that you are having problems with, such as a file name or a component.  

One handy section is InstallValidate.  Search for that.  Just after that you should see a list of the features and components, what their current state is, what actions are requested, and what action will be taken.  THis is basically a list of what will be installed, or removed (plus other things such as advertised, etc)

Often times I found myself searching for "reboot" to determine why a reboot was required.  

One final thing is to look at all the properties at the end of the log file.  These are always helpfull for me.