This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to install a feature in uninstallation

3 replies to this topic

dxue

dxue
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:29

It sounds weird but I do have to achieve this - while uninstalling my app, the installer kicks off an installation of a feature, which includes a couple of self-registered DLLs and a merge module. Does anybody know how to do this? Please help.

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 15:19

Is this a feature that was already installed, or one that was never installed?

I would think you could manipulate the REMOVE property (to make sure it lists individual features instead of ALL) and the ADDLOCAL property (to list the one feature that is supposed to be installed).
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

dxue

dxue
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 17:46

Thanks Kathy. The files of the feature were new and never installed. One way I am going to try is to make another msi and store it into the msi's storage. During uninstallation, set up a type 7 custom action to launch this nested msi to install the components. Is it going to work? or Are there any other ways to do this?

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 14:58

You might want to so some serious research into nested installations before you do this. As I understand it, a nested installation becomes part of the parent as far as Windows Installer is concerned. That means that updates and other maintenance to a nested installation must be done through the parent. Since your parent will be uninstalling, I'm not sure how this would work.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com