This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstalling patch removes older verion

4 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 22:43

Hi,

I have created a patch using the 2.03 Patch Wizard and this successfully
upgrades the original install as required. However, when I go to remove the
patch using add/remove program, then the original install is also removed
leaving me with nothing installed. Is there some setting which I have missed
to enable rollbacks to the previous installed version?

Cheers,
Tony

(Edited by Tony at 10:47 am on July 27, 2001)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 10:40

Windows Instalelr patches cannot be uninstalled ("unpatched"). If you want the unpatched version of your application, you must uninstall the wholöe thing, and reinstall without the patch. That's how Windows Installer is designed to work.

yiye34

yiye34
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2001 - 22:04

That's a very serious limitation, I would say. I believe any commercial software would need patching support so I don't know why MS is not supporting patch uninstallation. Ideally admin should be able to manage patches like listing them and remove one as he see fit.

Does anybody know any workaround to this problem? If you wrote any script to deal with this problem, could you please share it with everybody? Thanks,

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 16:17

Its a limitation of patching.  It is extremely rare for a patch program to be reversible.

You can author installs/upgrades/uninstalls to do whatever you want.   May be tricky with some authoring tools but it is definitely possible.  Patch,Minor, and Major Upgrade are just names there is a myriad of other possibilites within msi.  But don't expect an authoring tool like InstallShield to help much with exotic requirements.

To solve this problem properly you probably need to know more about msi than you ever want to.

yiye34

yiye34
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 17:22

"To solve this problem properly you probably need to know more about msi than you ever want to."

That's so true. Sometimes I am wondering if the benefit is worth the effort...