This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to save user files in an upgrade

1 reply to this topic

Cemar

Cemar
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 15:01

Hello.

I have an applicacion in which a file is going to store user information is included in the installer since the first version of the product. But i don't know how i can save this file in a major upgrade.

I mean, this file is always in the installer, because it is needed in newer installations. But when I install (upgrade) a newer version of the application, I need to upgrade the other files but not this one.

How can i upgrade the applicacion without lossing this file?

Thank you very much!!

Bye
Carlos

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:51

There are multiple options:
- Move the RemoveExistingProducts action down the sequence, somewhaere after InstallFiles, so that only unneeded files are deleted. In addition, you may need to set the NeverOverwrite property (the file must be key file of the component in this case) if Windows Installer's default versioning rules do't work for you.
- Save the file early in the install, and restore it at the end. MoveFiles can do the first, but not the latetr. So you'll need at least one custom action.