This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Split one large MSI into small msi

1 reply to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 13:29

Are there any tools available that split a MSI into small msi files depending on the features that I want to install.

Say, my installer gives me 5 features to install and I need only 3. Is there a way to break the MSI which has files for all 5 features into a smaller MSI which has files only for the 3 features I need?

One way I can think of is by building the features into different cabs and a light weight MSI. So, I can use only the cabs that I need and the MSI. The downside of this is I need to know which cabs correspond to which feature and choose the right ones.

I would like to know if there are any other ways.

Any help would be of great use. Thanks!

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 13:52

If you use InstallShield you can include features based on build flags - you can define different builds with different flags.

I wouldn't recommend your approach though: make sure that you think through all scenarios for upgrading, patching etc.