This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

automatically reinstalls older version

3 replies to this topic

phokanson

phokanson
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 17:15

I've installed an existing version of our companies applications (v2.4.1). The new version is v2.5.0. I start v2.5.0 and get the notice that an upgrade will be performed. The installation goes as expected. After installation of 2.5.0 completes, I verify that all of the expected files (and versions of those files) are in the correct place. I check the registry entries we added/changed and they are all correct as well. So far so good....

Then I click on the start menu short cut to launch the application and an install package is automatically kicked off, which then reinstalls the old 2.4.1 version! What's going on in this circumstance?

Product code and upgrade code are the same between the two versions.

phokanson

phokanson
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 19:52

An additional facet of this issue is that the described functionality occurs if teh v2.5.0 is installed from the command line. If the same build is executed from within the InstallShield IDE, v2.5.0 installs and executes correctly without the reinstall occuring.

I would love to hear any though ya'll might have as to what might be going on.

phood

phood
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 20:21

Check the target of the short cut on the Start menu.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:04

1. Generate a log file.
2. The InstallShield IDE might launch the install with some extra command line switches.
3. When launching from the IDE do you get the update message? InstallShield IDE can be confugured to uninstall the previous version before testing the new build.