This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade does not copy any files

7 replies to this topic

Pelle

Pelle
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 21:22

Hello,

I'm using Installshield X Professional SP1 on a W2k machine, targeting W2k and WXP.

I'm working on a basic MSI Installation this time and I'm having problems whenever the installation turns into upgrade-mode. I found that no file is copied in case of an upgrade, only the installed software-version (software-dialog of windows) is incremented.
This is true for both upgraded files and added files.
I've tried to check on the file dates and the ISX recorded version of the files, but got no idea - both indicates a newer file.

I'd done several upgrades for this product yet and never had any problems so far. This time it really gives me a serious headache.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Pelle.

Pelle

Pelle
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:21

unsure.gif

Hello again,

well there've been a few improvements with this.
I'm currently at a stage where the existing components get updated, but the new ones are only installed on a clean install.
However, the Software-Dialog stops showing the product as if it had been uninstalled.

UPDATE: It really looks like an unclean uninstall, where most of the files are left on the system. If I run the same installation again, it works just fine. What is this?????

How do I tell Installshield to always install the new components and upgrade the software-dialog correctly?

Regards,
Pelle.

Edited by Pelle, 12 May 2006 - 09:06.

Pelle

Pelle
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:55

Hi again,

I really need some help with this. After fooling around with pretty much any of product-code, upgrade-code, package-code and whatever else I could find I'm back to the original behaviour. Upon update, only the entry of the windows software-dialog are updated, but no files are copied.
I changed reinstallmode from omus to amus wherever I found this string in the direct editor.

I desparately need some advice on this one. I'll be more than eager to provide additional information once I know what you need.

One more thing: Viewing the logfile I found out that the "request" for my components is often set to "Null", though it should not. I have only one required feature and cannot choose from any of the components.

Any help still greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Pelle.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 16:50

I guess you will also find errors from SELMGR in your log, which indicates that you have violated some component rules for minor updates (like removing a component or changing the component id). Did you perform an update validation in InstallShield?

Pelle

Pelle
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 15:10

Hi Stefan,

I think I got the hang of performing update validations a couple of hours after my last post and it did indeed solve many many of my problems. I just wish someone had pointed that out to me a couple of days earlier... Would have been tremendous help indeed. Thanks anyway!!!

cool.gif

Anyway, I have two "problems" left, that are of little concern to me at the moment, but I'd like to have a quick opinion anyway (original first, then translation):

Validator: Val0010
Severity: Hinweis
Message: Die Daten in Komponente 'XXXX' unterscheiden sich vom vorherigen Setup. Diese Komponente wird jedoch bei einem Upgrade nicht erneut installiert. Die Änderungen werden während des Upgrade nicht auf das Zielsystem angewendet. Tabelle: 'RemoveFile' Bericht: 'NewShortcut2;YYYYY;;YYYYY_Folder;2'
Ref. Pkg: c:\dokume~1\user\lokale~1\temp\340\XXXX.msi

(translates to:
the data from component 'XXXX' differs from the previous setup. However, this component will not be (re-)installed during an upgrade. The changes will not be used on the target system.)

Validator: Val0010
Severity: Hinweis
Message: Die Daten in Komponente 'XXXX' unterscheiden sich vom vorherigen Setup. Diese Komponente wird jedoch bei einem Upgrade nicht erneut installiert. Die Änderungen werden während des Upgrade nicht auf das Zielsystem angewendet. Tabelle: 'RemoveFile' Bericht: 'NewShortcut1;YYYYY;;YYYYY_Folder;2'
Ref. Pkg: c:\dokume~1\user\lokale~1\temp\340\XXXX.msi

(same translation).

Furthermore, I have validation-problems with darice.cub, which seem to be ignorable at the moment:

ISDEV : error ICE43: Component IS_ININSTALL_SHORTCUT has non-advertised shortcuts. It should use a registry key under HKCU as its KeyPath, not a file. http://dartools/iceman/ice43.html Component Attributes IS_ININSTALL_SHORTCUT
ISDEV : warning ICE50: The extension of Icon 'ReadMe_643F7A7B6C4C4D5AA7C586E683ECD544.Txt' for Shortcut 'ReadMe' is not "exe" or "ico". The Icon will not be displayed correctly. http://dartools/iceman/ice50.html Shortcut Icon_ ReadMe
ISDEV : error ICE57: Component 'IS_ININSTALL_SHORTCUT' has both per-user and per-machine data with a per-machine KeyPath. http://dartools/iceman/ice57.html Component Component IS_ININSTALL_SHORTCUT

Edited by Pelle, 16 May 2006 - 17:07.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 18:23

Val 10 might be related to non-transitive components (re-evaluate condition = false)

Pelle

Pelle
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 14:40

Dear Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your time and expertise!

smile.gif

Regards,
Pelle.

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 16:28

I have a similar problem to this as well.

I have a product that installs fine on a clean system under Windows XP. On an upgrade, some components appear to not install, although, there is no failure reported during the install.

If I look at the log, it shows 5 files with the informational message "Info 1911.Could not register type library for file ..."

If I try and execute a program which requires one of those other files, let's say the main executable, all of a sudden it becomes magically installed, shortcut appears on the desktop and the application runs as if nothing is wrong.

This problem also fixes itself if I rerun the install and select the 'Repair' option. On that second run, the install rights itself.

I am still working on debugging the problem, I will post any information that I find here.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on this one, I would appreciate it. biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net