This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation starts when application is running

2 replies to this topic

BillK

BillK
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 16:13

A strange thing happens with my standard installation.  When I install my software everything is fine.  I then have to reboot and login as a different user to use the software.  When my application starts up the install tries to start up.  A message box stating 'preparing to install' comes up.  If you click cancel, it simply tries to start up again.  If you let it go it will simply fail and a message comes up saying

"Error 1706
No valid source could be found for product e.soft 2.5 (product name).  Windows installer cannot continue"

What is this.  Why is it starting up.  The install will attempt to startup 3 or 4 times before it stops.  When it stops, the correct behavior of the application occurs.  This occurs on win 2k sp 2.  

I notice this happens every time the software attempts to start up another executable installed by me.  Does anyone have any explainations?  

Thanks
Bill

Banjo

Banjo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 16:39

Are you starting the install as an admin user and then logging in as a non-admin user after the re-start.  If so, try logging back in an admin user, let the installation complete and then logoff and log back on as the end user.

It could be that the install source is in a protected storage area that the end user does not have access to.

Remember that when a installation reboots it is because it needs to do something that it can not do while windows is running.  So it schedules the tasks for the bootup and then completes the installation when the re-start is finished.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BillK

BillK
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 18:40

That didn't work.  It still tries to run the install when I run an exe.  

For some reason it is looking for certain executables from the cd and some from its normal location (I removed the cd and a message came up saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a cd-rom or other removable disk that is not available.  Insert the disk and click OK".  What the f*!? is that.  

The exe's that cause this message require other apps to run so it attemps to launch them itself.  The path variable is OK so this is not a problem.  Executables that can run by themselves don't have this problem.  

Could this be a registration problem?  What gives.  I am extremely confused.