This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade - InstallScript issue

1 reply to this topic

MarkBond

MarkBond
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:25

I am trying to create a Windows Installer package using InstallShield Developer 7.0 (SP4) that will perform a minor upgrade to an existing product.

I have taken the original installer and modified the "Package Code" and "Product Version" but left the "Product Code" unchanged. I have also updated the file version numbers in the product's files.

When I perform the upgrade using the "REINSTALL=ALL" and "REINSTALLMODE=vomus" settings it appears to work fine. The new product replaces the old product and runs successfully.

The problem arises when I try to uninstall the upgraded product. At this stage, although the new MSI package has been cached (due to the "v" option of REINSTALLMODE), the old setup.rul script is still used and this fails to remove the product.

The actual point of failure occurs when a new custom action (that only exists in the new package) tries to access a new script function (which doesn't exist in the old script).

If the product is installed on a clean machine it uninstalls without any problems, it only fails when trying to uninstall after performing an upgrade.

I would be very grateful if anyone could suggest how I might force the new setup.rul script to be re-cached along with the rest of the MSI pacakge.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:53

I would contact Installshield to verify if this is a known issue or not. Might save you some time. Your "last resort" will be a major upgrade, it will remove this problem.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul