This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Debug unistall?

7 replies to this topic

Greg102

Greg102
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:52

Hi

I can debug Install Shield project by F5, but I would like to debug setup during unistallation.
Is it possible?

Regards
Greg102

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 14:49

I've never tried to run an uninstall through the debugger and I'm not sure how feasible it would be. I instead rely on debug messages that can be invoked through the appropriate command-line switches.

However, to try and go about, I suggest you check out the help topic "INFO: Debugging a Setup on a Test Machine" and use that information to override the default uninstall string.
user posted image

samsquared

samsquared
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 18:29

After you run the install just run it again through the IDE debugger (F5) and it will take you through the functions it executes. (I'm making the assumption that you're debugging from the IDE because you mentioned using F5.)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 21:28

That's assuming you're using Maintenance mode samsquared.
user posted image

samsquared

samsquared
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 21:43

I'm afraid I don't understand your reply; if you're uninstalling then you are running in Maintenance.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:46

Well you're presuming that when you run the setup a second time, you'll be automatically presented with the typical Modify/Repair/Remove options that come with Maintenance mode. Thereby allowing Greg102 to debug an uninstallation.

However, this is not guaranteed as traditional IS setups would run normally the second time around and require additional command-line arguments to invoke the uninstallation.

For more information on this distinction, look here.
user posted image

samsquared

samsquared
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 14:26

The point I was trying to make (and it appears not very well) is that if Greg102 was using the IS IDE to debug his install, then yes, I did presume that he wanted to use the IS IDE to debug the uninstall. Regardless of whether or not he's chosen to use the Modify/Repair/Remove dialog, when he starts the install in debug mode from the IDE he will go through OnBegin, either OnMaintUIBefore (if his install didn't get rid of the registry key you referred to) or OnFirstUIBefore (if it did), etc.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 22:53

Yes, I'm aware of all that samsquared, but I guess I got too caught up in the old procedural-based scripts that I frequently work with as opposed to the standard event-based scripts like one would expect.

In any case, I believe we've exhausted that enough and will give Greg102 the floor for any further replies that he made need to make on the matter.
user posted image