This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

NeverOverwrite fails in merge module

3 replies to this topic

Ralf

Ralf
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 22:11

Hi,
I use ISWI 1.1. Actually I want to include a parameter file in a merge module which belongs to a software setup. When using the software the user saves his actual settings in this file. So it should not be overwritten by further updates if it exists already on the pc. It has to be only installed during a first-time-installation.

So I set in the merge module project the component parameter "NeverOverwrite" to "Yes". When I did this for other parameter files in the host project (which uses the merge module) it worked properly. But for the merge module it doesn´t. The parameter file is always overwritten.

Any ideas to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Ralf

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 09:21

Is the parameter file the key file of the component?

Ralf

Ralf
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 15:52

The parameter was not the key file. When I defined the parameter file as the key file, the setup worked properly. :-)

But on the other hand this solution (define as key file) is a little bit confusing for me. Reason: I already defined in the main setup (which includes the merge module) a component which includes some other parameter files, which should not be overwritten. I did not define any file of this component as a key file and it worked properly.
1. Why does the NeverOverwrite-function work in the main setup project without defining a key file?
2. If the key file has to be set: If a component includes more than one file, which file should be defined?

Thanks
Ralf

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 21:08

If no key file is defined, the directory is used as key.
The never overwrite for components only looks at the key file. If you have multiple files you don't want to overwrite, you should put them in different components (unless you are sure they will always exist together, so checking the existance of one of them is enough to decided whether to overwrite or not)