This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

general help needed

1 reply to this topic

andrasnm

andrasnm
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 16:52

I have developer 9 downloaded. I have tried a number of project types. I am new with developer 9 and with installshield as an app...

The agenda is that I need to install the following:
a) .net if needed
1) asp.net application (aspx, plus dll's)
2) msde database (stored procs)
3) a registration key

My question and initial notion was to use the combo (installscript and mSI) to save
time and resources.
Now I understand that it is not advisable.
I need to do lot of checking and version verfying so script code is needed but I wonder if I could use a project type (msi only) and use install script still?
My main concern is the reg key code and other areas where I feel the combo would be best - but I am afraid of the posting on this board say otherwise.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 13:15

Even when using the "Basic MSI" project type you can use InstallScript - by inserting a custom action. Alternatively you could use VBScript or a DLL, written in C.

If fell more comfortable with a pure scripting solution you could use the "InstallScript" (not "InstallScript MSI") project type. This doesn't use any Windows Installer (MSI) at all, but is a pure script solution.