This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Somne exisiting dlls are not overwritten

2 replies to this topic

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:56

Hi guys,

one of our very early software installs some dlls to the CommonFilesFolder/OurApp.

In a later version of our software (parallel installation is allowed) there are two dlls defined as their components keypath, which are already installed from the early version. These new dlls aren't able to be installed, the old versions are still on the machine.

Does the Installer just checks if the components keypath-file ist already installed in ANY version and then skips its installation? If yes, is there a smart workaround?

Kindest regards,
Torben

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 13:41

No, versioned files (such as DLLs) are checked and newer versions should overwrite older ones. For non-versioned files, date/timestamps are used, with Modified date/time overriding Created date/time (to enable data files which have been updated to be retained).

Run your install with verbose logging enabled. That should show you what's going on.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:27

Thank you very much for your answer.

Regards,
Torben