This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch Installation with modified msi

3 replies to this topic

gaurav

gaurav
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 14:39

Hi,

I need a brief explanation on the following scenario.

I have one base setup. Let us consider A.exe and it has its own A.msi.

I need to create a patch kit for this setup.Here is my problem. In the base setup I have some files like

libgh.dll Version 3.2.0
lifpo.dll Version 3.6.1
lipin.dll Version 4.1.1

The patch setup contain the fixed files with version as follows.
libgh.dll Version 3.2.1
lifpo.dll Version 3.6.2
lipin.dll Version 4.1.2

While I create a patch I found an issue with the base setup. When I opened the A.msi in Orca editor and selected the "File" row. There it displays all these files with some other version like

libgh.dll Version 4.2.0
lifpo.dll Version 4.2.0
lipin.dll Version 4.2.0

I don't know how it gets changed. So when I tried to create a patch it throws the warning as

"_E6F8495EA0384F6C88D4CACA2C19157 has lower version than the file that exists in the setup.This file will not be updated"

So the file with bugfix cannot be copied to the location.

How this file version is useful in patching the base kit? How can we fix this ?

Thanks in Advance......

Regards,
Gaurav

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 15:29

I believe that you can ignore this warning as during patch install it will look at the actual versions of the existing files, not the wrong versions in the .msi file.
However you should find out how the wrong versions got in there. maybe the versions ini your file are mixed up. Rememebr that there's a file version, which is there twice: as DWORD and as text string, and there's also a product version stored in the file. Only the DWORD file version is relevant. Tools like Dependency Walker or Visual Studio will show you the actual version numbers in your file.

gaurav

gaurav
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:05

Thanks Stefan Krueger. I will check out how it gets changed in the msi table.

But I have the same scenario but in reverse order. How can we replace a higher version file with the lower version file. I think we can't do that using Quick Patch project.Is there any workaround for that?

Thanks and Regards,
Gaurav

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:14

You really shoudn't do that. Either remove the higher version first, or increase the version number of the file to be installed.