This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Grant write access to folder

5 replies to this topic

schoeneichebb

schoeneichebb
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:31

Hi newsgroup,

I'm still working with InstallShield Professional 6.1 German and am missing the feature to grant write access to a folder by script. I think I've investigated InstallShield 6.1 to such an extent that I can say it really doesn't have that feature.

So my question is: Which version of InstallShield is capable of setting access rights to a folder? I'd love to update to a current InstallShield version, but want to make sure that this feature is at least in this version.

Regards,
Frank

Maharani

Maharani
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 13:51

Probier doch mal ein LaunchApplication mit cacls (oder ggf. icacls unter Vista).

Bei icacls beachten, dass vorher mit ChangeDirectory in den uebergeordneten Ordner gewechselt werden muss, weil icacls nicht mit Gaensefuesschen bei langen Dateinamen umgehen kann. Darum muss man auch LaunchApplication nehmen, LaunchAppAndWait setzt das CurrentDir naemlich selbst. Ob das bei cacls auch so ist, weiss ich nicht, wir setzen spezielle Zugriffsrechte nur unter Vista. Allerdings gibt es derzeit nicht nachvollziehbare Umstaende, unter denen die Zugriffsrechte danach manchmal trotzdem nicht stimmen.

schoeneichebb

schoeneichebb
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 14:48

Probier doch mal ein LaunchApplication mit cacls (oder ggf. icacls unter Vista).

Is there really no inherent script method to accomplish this? Not even with the
latest InstallShield version? I mean CreateDir() is for creating folders and ... is for setting folder access rights.

Allerdings gibt es derzeit nicht nachvollziehbare Umstaende, unter denen die Zugriffsrechte danach manchmal trotzdem nicht stimmen.

Do you mean the notorious "The Permissions on Folder are incorrectly ordered, which may cause some entries to be ineffective"?
I've already come across this, and that exactly is the reason why I'm looking
for a means within InstallShield doing better.

Regards,
Frank

Maharani

Maharani
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 16:37

QUOTE (schoeneichebb @ 2008-12-05 14:48)
Do you mean the notorious "The Permissions on Folder are incorrectly ordered, which may cause some entries to be ineffective"?
I've already come across this, and that exactly is the reason why I'm looking
for a means within InstallShield doing better. 

Actually I don't know yet why access rights are not set properly under Vista from time to time as I haven't looked into that problem yet. It just happens tongue.gif

We're using IS2008 and if there is a possibility to change access rights of a folder it is not obvious enough for me as I didn't find it which is why we're using command line. But setup has not the highest priority here so we don't spend much time to find the best solution. We just try to find something that works somehow (at least in a way not damaging user's systems...). Thus there may be quite a few things in InstallShield I'm completely unaware of. blink.gif

Btw.: If you really want to upgrade to a current IS version: We had a rather complex setup with dozens of components and I ended up writing the whole thing again after upgrading from IS6.5 to IS12 because the import output was unusable. It's not difficult, just boring and unnerving if there are a lot of components. At least relative path support is better than in IS6.5 which was quite a relief.

phood

phood
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 16:52

Why not use cacls?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 13:13

As far as I know there's no built-in InstallScript function for that purpose.