This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

RunOnce executing too early?

4 replies to this topic

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 23:51

As part of my installer, the user has the option to install a utility that will automatically do some configuration for our software based on a few parameters. The way we accomplish this is to launch an exe from the installs. Since we decided to call for a reboot after the install, I put an entry for the exe in the RunOnce key.

The problem is it seems that as soon as I write that registry entry in the RunOnce key, the program tries to execute immediately. When I check the registry after the install and before the reboot, there are no entries in the RunOnce key at all. I've tried using a custom Installscript action to write the regkey as well as using the registry thingy in the exe's component. Both seem to do the same thing.

When I look at the log file after the install, it says that it wrote the reg entry, but there's no mention of anything else. This combined with the fact that it's not there after the install makes me think that something is invoking the RunOnce functionality.

Why would this be happening?

On the chance that it's not the RunOnce key that's the culprit, what else (aside from an explicit custom action) would cause the exe to try to run during the installs? ie. Does the PublishAssembly try to run anything?

Thanks!

-- spdygnlz --

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:18

Is the missing entry the only symptom, or does the program you put in RunOnce actually run immediately?

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 17:24

The program actually executes immediately.

-- spdygnlz --

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:08

I think that RunOnce actuions run during log-on, so they might fire without a reboot. But I haven't seen the behaviour you describe.

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 23:10

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I've opened a case with Microsoft to see if they can be any help. I'll post back with any results I find. Thanks!

-- spdygnlz --