This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Searching installed applications

2 replies to this topic

Ajawl

Ajawl
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 12:03

Hello People,
I need to search if an application is already installed in the PC where the setup is running. This application is not an old version of my setup, it is just another application.

I have the upgrade code of this application. So I tried to use the Upgrade Table, filling the column  UpgradeCode with the corresponding upgrade code and Attributes=2 (So the application will not be uninstalled by the action RemoveExistingProducts).

The problem is that the action FindRelatedProducts (which searches for the registers in the upgrade table) runs only during the first installation or during a major upgrade. This action is not executed during minor upgrades! So the other application that I have to search is not found during minor upgrades. Am I doing anything wrong using the upgrade table?

Does anybody know another way to look for installed applications?

Thank you for your help,
Ajawl

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 12:53

That's by design. The upgrade table is only evaluated during first time install or major upgrade.

You couls use AppSearch etc. tables to dearch for a file or registry entry of the other application, or write a custom action to detect its install state.

Ajawl

Ajawl
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 14:22

Hi Stefan Krüger,
I tried to use the RegLocator to find in the Registry the key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\"Compressed Upgrade Code"

But the problem is that I should fill the column Name with the corresponding ProductCode, but this code is not unique (this code is changed in Major Upgrades).

I do not know where else can I search for the Upgrade Code in the Registry. Do you know another Registry entry?

With which kind of  custom action can I detect the application install state?

Thank you again,
Ajawl