This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File Organization 101

2 replies to this topic

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 20:11

I need to re-organize my current IS project to have it handle three different flavors of our product.

I have a couple different ways of going about this though, so in trying to find the better approach, I have a some questions to bounce off you guys.

Say I have a component called main which includes file groups A and B.  Now if file group A dynamically includes a series of files and file group B statically includes a subset of those same files, is InstallShield smart enough to not simply copy both the contents of A and the contents of B?  Would it speed things up and instead try to do the combined results

Now would this same kind of intellgence carry through and across components?  Like if component 1 and component 2 both used file group A.  Would IS stupidly copy A twice or just the one time?

With some work, I realize I can probably figure this out, but to ease the process I thought I'd see what you all have experienced.  Let me know and thanks in advance.
user posted image

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 20:15

I ran into this myself. IS apparently stupidly tries to copy the file multiple times.  For every compoennt, it does every file group, without regard to duplicate file groups.

What I ended up doing for common file groups was to place them into a hidden component - you make a component and mark its Visible property to 'No' so it won't show in the component selection dialogs.

Then, within the script, after user has selected setup type or chosen components (for custom setup type) I then check component A and component B whether enabled for install.  If either one is set, I programmatically select component C, the hidden one, for install.  Then the component selections are not duplicated and the file transfers are not duplicated.

This seems like a bit of work, but it has functioned flawlessly so far.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2002 - 14:33

That's unfortunate that IS is so stupid, but thanks for the reply.

As for your current approach, that's not too much work and I can see that working well.

Actually the way I ended up re-structuring it though, I shouldn't need to do anything like that, but it's good to know.  Thanks.
user posted image