This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

The life of a Property

4 replies to this topic

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 23:00

This is probably a stupid question but hopefully someone has a quick answer.  
I know that making a property name all caps like "MYPROPERTY" will preserve it through the UI and excecution sequences, but is there a way to cache it untill uninstall?  Or is writing it to the registry (or somewhere) and retrieving it manually the only way to do this?

I am using ISWI 2.01 and Windows 2000.

Thank you,
Joe

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 23:09

Not stupid, many people want to do it.  Unfortunately there is no built in way to fo this.  Writing to the registry is probably the most straight forward.  (No custom actions required - Registry Table to save them, RegLocator Table to get them back).

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 23:16

Thanks Ian,

That's what I was affraid of.  What do you mean by the RegLocator Table to get them back?

Joe

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 23:45

There is a built in mechanism in windows installer that runs early in an installation that searchs for things.  You can search for files, registry keys, ini files and for components.

To find a registry value.  Turn to the Power editor of ISWI.  

First fill in the AppSearch table

Property MYPROPERTY1
Signature_  MySig1

and the RegLocator Table

Signature_ MySig1
Root 2 for HKLM
Key Software\MyCompany\MyProduct\InstallProperties
Name MYPROPERTY1
Type 2 raw mode just get the value

And as if by magic your registry key will have been restored.

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 23:49

Hey, thanks alot for the tip.  I thought I was going to have to write some code...

Joe