This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Self-repairing installations

3 replies to this topic

DarrenHale

DarrenHale
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 12:21

Hi,

I've created a number of installations for different applications.  To illustrate my problem I'll call them applications A, B and C.  If I install all three applications they all install and run as expected.  If I then break app A by deleting the main program exe and then try to run the shortcut for app A, the Windows Installer repairs app A for me.  Now if I break app A again and this time run the shortcut for app B (or C), the Windows Installer pops up and repairs app A for me even though I'm not trying to run app A and applications B and C do not require A to run correctly.  Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop this happening or what I've done to make this happen in the first place?

To make matters a little more interesting, I have an application D.  If I break app A and run the shortcut for app D, the Windows Installer does NOT pop up and repair app A for me.  This is completely opposite behaivour to what is seen with app B and C.  I can't see any difference in the settings between app D and the other 3 yet it's behaivour is different.

Why I need is for all four applications to behave consistently.  I either need to turn off this 'global' self repair, or have it turned on in all applications.  Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?  Please, anyone......

Thanks for any help.

Darren

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 12:53

You should not turn off autorepair that is a global setting for use by system admins.

Are these apps under a single feature?
If they are that might explain why 'A' is repaired when 'B' or 'C' are called.  If they are, create sub features under the main feature for ;A', 'B' and 'C' (you do not need to display them).

Does your .msi  validate properly.  Validation can reveal anomalies in the structure of your features and components.

What does the log file think it is repairing?

(Edited by Ian Blake at 12:56 pm on Oct. 16, 2001)

DarrenHale

DarrenHale
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 13:37

Each application is an individual MSI so I have four seperate InstallShield projects.  I've checked that all the GUIDs are different for the Product ID, Component ID etc. and that all checks out.  I've ran through the MSI validation and more or less everything checks out OK.  What I don't understand is how or why the seperate MSI's are interacting with each other.  When the Windows Installer window pops up and starts reparing, the title bar definately refers to a different application than which I have started running.

Mel Arviso

Mel Arviso
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 20:21

It sounds like your MSIs are conflicting with each other at one of these levels: file, registry, etc.

Try importing them into a conflict checking tool.  Adminstudio or wise.