This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

minor Upgrade

4 replies to this topic

jamsek19

jamsek19
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:28

The problem:

After minor Upgrade from v1.5 into v1.6 (only "Package Code" and "Product Version" is changed), some files are missing on %InstallDir%. All those missing files came from one component.

.ism file description:

Component name: "NewComponent1"
Until version 1.5 I had these files in this component: file1.py, file2.py file3.py and file4.py - file1.py was sated as "Key" file.

In version 1.6 I have change some files in this component. Now I have file3.py, file4.py, file5.py and file6.py. As file1.py do not exists any more, also "key" file do not exist any more.

Actual results:
After Upgrade from 1.5 into 1.6 all these files file3.py, file4.py, file5.py and file6.py are missing in %InstallDir%.
Also in log file I have two records for each those files:

CODE
InstallFiles: File: file3.py,  Directory: C:\Program Files\MyPrg\python\,  Size: 13050
RemoveFiles: File: file3.py, Directory: C:\Program Files\MyPrg\python\

So, it looks like Upgrade first really install those files and in post-install procedure remove them.

Any hint how to improve that?

Thanks in advance
Andrej

Andreo

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:59

You cannot remove the key file from a component in a minor update. You must use a Major Upgrade for this (and change the component GUID).

jamsek19

jamsek19
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 15:28

Thanks Stefan.
I just realize that this is not possible in minor upgrade. I need to plan this change in next release of my product.

But I have another question about major Upgrade:
my program is installed, let’s say, into %InstallDir% and has more subdirectories which are created by installer. The user should (on w2000 or win2003 or WinXP) after first installation of my program mount one (or more) subdirectory into separate disk partition (move all files and directories to temporally place, mount partition to directory and return back all entries using simple copy).
As I tested major upgrade first uninstalls old version and removes all those mount points, and then installs new version with creating new directory structure.
Is it possible to somehow tell Installer not to remove directories?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andrej
Andreo

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 16:11

You could change the Major Upgrade settings so that it will not completely remove the old version first, but overwrite the existing files instead.

jamsek19

jamsek19
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:35

Stefan, thanks.
I will try to do that.

Best regards
Andrej
Andreo