This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Remove problematic component reference?

5 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 14:20

Here is my problem. We had a version of our software installed on a system for quite some time. I tried to remove it and I was getting 1720 script errors, etc. This machine has gone through automatic Windows updates so I don't know if those may have caused something to be 'broken' or not.

At any rate, I 'removed' the product's main registry keys then deleted any involved directories we may have created in preparing the machine for installation of a completely different product we create.

After installing the product, upon initiation of the new application following install, I get quick flashes of the Windows Installer dialog, which indicates a self-repair. After checking the event viewer, I see a problem with a missing component that appears to be associated with the initial product I removed.

The component equates to DAO350.dll, which is used by both of our applications, but I'm confused as to why it is 'erroring' on the component tied to the application I had hoped to/thought I removed.

The component id's are different for each application.

Is there any way I can clear the problematic reference I'm seeing from the system?

I hope someone can follow this and lend some kind of assistance.

As always, thanks for any help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 20:48

Maybe this article can help:
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1023.htm

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 13:22

As always....THANKS!

I will most definitely give it a try!!

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 14:12

The only problem with using the WI CleanUp utility is that I had already removed the main Registry entries manually. So, when I attempted to use the utility, it didn't see the problematic application as installed (or I should say the application to which the problematic component entry is tied).

I thought what I could do is reinstall the application in question, but it doesn't let me do that either. It appears to proceed through the UI as usual, but after the ready to install dialog, it goes right to the the setup interrupted dialog without any other error display.

I tried logging the install to see what might be happening, but its not really showing me any valid error point that I can see. I've attached the log if anyone is interested.

As always, THANKS!

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpt.zip   19.46KB   53 downloads

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:32

I am afraid that with a system so messed up, the only real solution is to reinstall windows :-(. The cleanup tool has a feature to remove all windows installer information - in short delete the whole database. But I would NEVER use this feature if I were u.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:17

Apart from reinstalling windows, the only other way is to trawl through the registry under the windows installer areas and manually clean up the keys. Just take a backup of the registry before you attempt this :-)