This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to register a .net assembly with Installshi

2 replies to this topic

tfojvdl

tfojvdl
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 16:05

Hello,
searching with google I understood the following regarding registration of .NET assemblies when using InstallShield 12:

If I want to register a .net assembly with installshield 12, I have to put the file and all dependent files in a component and set .NET COM interop Property to 'yes'

If I want to register another .net assembly, I have to put it into a new component, because one component can only contain one .NET assembly.

Is that right?

What if both .net assembly depend on each other. do I have to place the files two times into the setup? (one times in component a to be registered, second time into the component, where its just neede for dependency reasons)

And what if I have 10 .net assemblies in one folder, to I really have to create 10 single components?

Is there any howto regarding that topic?

Thans for your help.
Jürgen

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 18:33

If I want to register a .net assembly with installshield 12, I have to put the file and all dependent files in a component and set .NET COM interop Property to 'yes'
Not sure if you really need to include dependencies in the same component. But if you want to register the assembly for COM Interop you should set this option.

If I want to register another .net assembly, I have to put it into a new component, because one component can only contain one .NET assembly.
Yes.

What if both .net assembly depend on each other. do I have to place the files two times into the setup? (one times in component a to be registered, second time into the component, where its just neede for dependency reasons)
No. No file should be duplicated in multiple components.

And what if I have 10 .net assemblies in one folder, to I really have to create 10 single components?
Yes.

tfojvdl

tfojvdl
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 19:12

Thank you very much. Now I think I understood.
Just to make a conclusion:

How to register a .net assembly with InstallShield 12 (Basic MSI Project):
1) create one component for each .net assembly you want to register
2) set component property ".NET COM interop" to 'yes' for each component
3) make sure that all files the assembly is depending on are available during runtime on the client machine
4) make sure that all files the assembly is depending on are available during build creation. (That means: Are installed/registered on your build machine)

best regards
Jürgen