This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Using MSDE 2000 Merge Modules

6 replies to this topic

caselli

caselli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 18:08

I finally managed to produce a successful install of MSDE 2000

I had to use the Merge Modules from the Refresh CD plus the SQLBASE.MSM referred to in the MS KB article Q274224.

Now everything works fine. Except for one little problem:
I get the error 1309 (file not found) whenever I produce a compressed setup.

Anyone has came across this one ?

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 22:03

I am experiencing the same error. Does anyone know what is up here? Thanks.

janmarker

janmarker
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2001 - 16:09

How did you successfully install MSDE 2000?  I want to include it with my application installation, but have not found a great deal of information to help.  I am using ISWI 2.03.  I do not plan to compress my installation at this point in development.

Thanks for your help.

caselli

caselli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2001 - 16:32

I used the merge modules that I referred.
The Merge Modules from the Refresh CD plus the SQLBASE.MSM referred to in the MS KB article Q274224.

As long as I don't produce a compressed setup, it works ok.

Unfortunately, I came across some machines where it didn't install and I couldn't find out Why. So I gave up trying to use the merge modules.

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 14:12

Unfortunately I am from the country where Microsoft Support isn't working very well so I havent succeeded to obtain the refresh CD or hotfixes of the MSDE2000 modules...
In the articles Q274224, Q275309 and Q281184 they say that MSM's are fixed in the SQL SERVER 2000 Service Pack 1. I have downloaded it but haven't found any MSM's inside! Why they haven't put fixes on the internet.
So if somebody from Microsoft is reading this: HELP! I NEED FIXED MSM's!

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 09:02

For how to get fixed MSDE merge modules see my reply in this forum in
Windows Installer (MSI) : Merge Modules
MSDE2000 and SQLS2000 Service Pack 1

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 08:22

Some more info to the beginning of this thread:
 "Building a compressed setup with MSDE mergemodules produces errors."

I'm still using ISWi 1.52, but never tried it's feature to build compressed setups because it seems to be based on a feature, not component base. So I wrote a VBScript doing the cab-job using MakeCab.exe and controlled with ASCII files containing the info which component should be put to which cab-file.
When trying to build a setup containing MSDE there was always a problem with SHARED.MSM. This mergemodule contains two components, each with one file. But these files are physically identical, its two times the same file; they are stored in the same source folder but copied to different locations during the installation. One of these two(/one) files is also duplicated to a third destination via duplicatefiles action (that's ok).
When building the cabbed version of a setup it seems like ISWi deletes the file from the source tree after having compressed the file for the first component. When building the second component, the file is missing.
MS obviously did something in this mergemodule where they better should have used a second duplicatefiles action instead of using the same source file twice (in two different components).

I changed my Script to delete the source files after having compressed all files destined to one cab-file. That way it's possible to build a working, compressed setup with MSDE. If anybody is interested in the Script, please contact me with the text 'CAB-Script' in the Subject of an EMail.