This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch isn't updating files

2 replies to this topic

ryan h

ryan h
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 15:37

It appears as though a patch that I've generated isn't updating files whose version hasn't changed.  I have a patch which contains 7 files, 4 of which have a new version number.  After running the patch, only those files whose version has been incremented seem to be replaced.   This lends to another problem I've seen with InstallShield which is it doesn't seem that InstallShield respects dates when encountering 2 files with same names and versions.  Is this the case, and if not, could you explain how IS handles file dates.  Thank You for any help I receive.
Ryan H.

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 11:20

It's not installshield that's handling the copying of files, it's the windows installer. And the rules for the copying of files can be found in the windows installer documentation. Look for "File Versioning Rules", especially for "Default File Versioning" and "Both Files Have a Version".
Especially for versioned files, the file date doesn't matter. It's only the file version, and in case of equal versions the language capabilities of the file which decide about the installation of a file.
h.teichert-ott

mit

mit
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 13:05

It appears that default versioning rules can be tuned, to overwrite components even if the version is equal - you must set REINSTALLMODE property to "emus" instead of "omus"...

I did not test it yet, but it should work...